As I promised early in one of my earlier post, you will find here simple step-by-step guide to Jailbreak/Unlock Iphone 2G with 3.1.2 using the new tool Blackra1n. I used this tool last wednesday to unlock my 2G phone. Perhaps this is the simplest jailbreak process I have ever seen/followed. Thanks to George Francis Hotz commonly know as Geohot for this fantastic effort. To be frank, I was waiting for iphonedev team to release the jailbreak process and skeptical to use this tool. But it is absolutely amazing. Tool took hardily few seconds to jailbreak.
Disclaimer: This is not a comprehensive guide. And even though this tool worked well for me, I will not guarantee the same for all. And this guide is only for 2G phone. Perhaps you can find out more references for 3G easily if you google for "Blackra1n + iphone 3G jailbreak".
Early, you need to be geek to jailbreak but this is not the case with this tool. Any newbie can do it easily provided you don't mess up with the steps mentioned below.
Follow these steps one by one:-
- Use iTunes 9.0 or later version for the jailbreak. If you are using older version of iTunes, please upgrade it first. You can download the latest version of iTunes from Apple. I used 184.108.40.206, probably this is the latest version I guess.
- Before jailbreaking, backup all your data like contacts, sms, photos, etc via iTunes. Simply sync your iPhone and backup the iPhone data. So that you can restore these data back after your update.
- Download iPhone OS 3.1.2 firmware from here and save it into a folder on your windows machine.
- Connect your iPhone via USB and launch iTunes.
- Restore your iPhone with iPhone OS 3.1.2. For Windows, hold SHIFT key and click on the “Restore” button and select the firmware file (i.e. iPhone1,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw) that you have just downloaded. It is important that you hold the SHIFT button and press "Restore" button that is displayed on the iTunes which will result in a pop up windows to load the ipsw file. If you are looking for Mac, I have no idea :-). BTW, restoring will take some time.
- If you’re not using official SIM like me, your iPhone will not be recognized by iTunes after restoration. Don’t worry. It’s normal. You can then close iTunes and continues with the next step given below.
- Go to blackra1n.com and download blackra1n. Both Windows and Mac versions are available. Download the one for windows.
- After downloading, Launch the software on your Windows system. Make sure your iPhone is still connected with your computer via USB.
- Click “make it ra1n” to start the jailbreak.
- Once you click the button, the jailbreak process starts and it’ll take around 30 seconds to complete. Wait until you see the message "your iPhone should be jailbroken after reboot".
- Now, you’ll have to install Cydia. Tap on the “blackra1n” icon. if you have WiFi connection, I suggest you to first enable it before continuing. This should speed up the download process of cydia. Tap on “Cydia” and then “Install” button to install Cydia. Just wait until the download and installation to complete. This completes the jailbreak.
- But if you need to unlock your iPhone 2G to work with unofficial sim, launch cydia and install bootneuter. After installation, reboot your iPhone. Yeap!!!, your iPhone is unlocked and is running with OS 3.1.2!!!!. Now, no dependency, you can install any games/apps from the store!!!!
So, does it work with iPhone 2G previously jailbroken with PwnageTool or Redsn0w? Yes, it works!. It worked like gem for me :-).