Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Fernando Alonso - Back with Bang!!!

Initially I wanted to write only about the day three test @ Valencia. So was following the first half of the test via AutoSports. Thanks a lot to AutoSports for the excellent coverage (text). But I changed my mind once after going through various F1 sites focusing mainly on Fernando. So overall very satisfying day for all Alonso and his fans after 2 years of struggling with slow car. This is something to celebrate. But too I agree there are plenty of miles to go!!!!.

Complete Control @ Valencia:-
With the weather condition getting improved better and better as the day progressed at Valencia, Fernando Alonso ventured out to begin his Ferrari career. The Spaniard clocked a 1:16 on his first attempt and continued to shave that down until he managed to take the P1 slot with a 1:11.905. Quite amazing drive providing this is first official drive on F10. Finally he ended up in the top with the best timing of the day - 1m11.470s. Ironically only driver to clock 1m11s.

An interesting point to note is that Alonso's 1:11.905 after just an hour in the F10 was only 0.183s off Felipe Massa's best time. And Massa had two full days in the car to achieve that. Waiting for Massa to comment on this :-). Bang on target. Outstanding effort it is, meanwhile the regaining world champion was struggling with his mclaren.

The final standing on day three - Valencia:



1 AlonsoFerrari 1m11.470s
2 de la RosaSauber 1m12.094s  +0.624
3 SchumacherMercedes 1m12.438s  +0.968
4 AlguersuariToro Rosso 1m12.576s  +1.106
5 ButtonMcLaren 1m12.951s  +1.481
6 PetrovRenault 1m13.097s  +1.627
7 HulkenbergWilliams 1m13.669s  +2.199

Chaos @ Valencia
What do you get when you cross an Formula 1 test in Spain with the first day of Fernando Alonso publicly behind the wheel of a Ferrari?. Apparently, chaos.

This is what Ferrari reported in their
site

Valencia, 3 February 2010 – Great enthusiasm at Cheste’s “Ricardo Tormo” circuit for the official debut of Fernando Alonso behind the wheel of a Ferrari Formula 1 single-seater. 30,000 fans came to see Fernando on the track, creating a traffic jam at the exit of the Valencia-Madrid highway. This is quite unusual for a Formula 1 test, but it shows how much Fernando is adored in Spain and the great expectations the fans have regarding his arrival in Ferrari.

And Ferrari also posted an lengthy Q and A with Alonso. Few of them which are interested to me are posted below. Complete Q and A can be found in
ferrari site.
Is it true that you’re a great poker player?
«Not great. But I like it.»

With whom are you playing?
«In Spain with my friends and when I’m away on the internet.»

And at the paddock?
«With Kubica and Fisichella.»

Who’s the fourth player?
«We’re looking for one. Possibly a chicken.»

Who wins most?
«Robert [Kubica]. »

Who’s bluffing the best?
«Also Robert.»

So he wins all the time!
«No, because also Fisico is really good.»

The most beautiful day of your life?
«…has still to arrive, I’m living in the future.»

And in the past?
«I think maybe the feeling when you unpack your Christmas presents when you’re seven years old won’t come back. Not even when you win the World Championship.»

Out of the five books published about you, four in Spanish and one in French, which one do you suggest?
«Not one of them. They’ve been all written in a hurry to make money when I became famous. I haven’t even read them.»

Where do you see yourself in ten years?
«At home in my armchair.»

Dying your hair like Schumacher, reproached by Briatore?
«Oh my God, I don’t think that’s really important, is it? But when I look at my father, he’s all white and it really fits him. So what...»

Today Schumacher isn’t exactly popular amongst the Ferraristi.
«He’s a great champ. He left Ferrari before I arrived. And let me say it again, I like to talk about the future.»

Please say something to the Ferrari fans.
«I can’t guarantee any results. We know that I’ll always give it everything. There won’t be a day when I’m not thinking of the team.»

Promised?
«Promised!»


That's all for the first winter test. Will keep posted when the second testing program starts on 10th of this month.

No comments: