I intend to write this blog only to make things easier for all who wanted to update their 2G phone to 3.1.3. Couple of my friends wanted me to update their unlocked iphone 2G to 3.1.3. Of course, I immediately searched for tutorials in iclarified. Yes, there is a well written tutorial explaining step by step process with enough snapshots. But there is a big mistake in their tutorial i.e it says you should open 3.1.3 firmware (IPSW) file in redsn0w.exe but this is wrong. When you do so, redsn0w will throw an error indicating firmware is not supported. Yes, it is true redsn0w do not support 3.1.3 firmware, instead you need to use 3.1.2 firmware here. Is it confusing, fine let me write it down step by step
Before that, I will start with this disclaimer.
1. This is not a comprehensive guide. And even though this tool worked well for me, I will not guarantee the same for all. And this guide is only for 2G phone. Perhaps you can find out more references for 3G easily if you google for "Blackra1n + iphone 3G jailbreak".
2. If you think this blog is a joke :-). Refer this tutorial iPhone | How to Unlock/Jailbreak Your iPhone 2G on OS 3.0.x Using RedSn0w (Windows).
Early, you need to be geek to jailbreak but this is not the case with this tool. Any newbie can do it easily provided you don't mess up with the steps mentioned below.
Follow these steps one by one:-
- Use iTunes 10.0 or later version for the jailbreak. If you are using older version of iTunes, please upgrade it first. You can download the latest version of iTunes from Apple. I used 10.1.0.56, probably this is the latest version I guess.
- Before jailbreaking, backup all your data like contacts, sms, photos, etc via iTunes. Simply sync your iPhone, rest is taken care by Itunes. This is very much important so that you can restore these data back after your update.
- Download Redsn0w from here
- Download iPhone OS 3.1.2 firmware from here and save it into a folder on your windows machine.
- Download iPhone OS 3.1.3 firmware from here and save it into a folder on your windows machine.
- Connect your iPhone via USB and launch iTunes.
- Restore your iPhone with iPhone OS 3.1.3. For Windows, hold SHIFT key and click on the “Restore” button and select the firmware file (i.e. iPhone1,1_3.1.3_7D11_Restore.ipsw) that you have just downloaded. It is important that you hold the SHIFT button and press "Restore" button that is displayed on the iTunes which will result in a pop up windows to load the ipsw file. If you are looking for Mac, I have no idea :-). BTW, restoring will take some time.
- If you’re not using official SIM like me, your iPhone will not be recognized by iTunes after restoration. Don’t worry. It’s normal. You can then close iTunes and continues with the next step given below.
- Launch the software (redsn0w) on your Windows system. Make sure your iPhone is still connected with your computer via USB and Itunes is closed.
- Click on "Browse", open the iPhone1,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw that you have downloaded. Don't select iPhone1,1_3.1.3_7D11_Restore.ipsw, as this version of the firmware is not supported by the tool.
- Once you select the iPhone1,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw file, redsn0w will verify it. This processing will take few seconds, wait for the message "IPSW successfully identified".
- Now, click next. Select the options like "Install Cydia and Unlock". You can also select options like customized login pictures etc.
- Then click Next, provide the location of the bootloaders i.e 3.9 and 4.6 Boot loaders.
- Click Next, now make sure you have switched off the iphone. Now the actual jailbreak process starts here
- Follow the instructions provided by redsn0w i.e hold power button for 2 seconds followed with hold power + home button for 10 seconds. Now release power with holding home button for 30 seconds.
- Once this is complete you will be notified that RedSn0w is done. Click the Finish button.
- When your iPhone finishes reboot (5 minutes or so). It will run BootNeuter then be unlocked and jailbroken with Cydia on the SpringBoard.
- This completes the process. Now, any SIM will work with Iphone 2g on 3.1.3 firmware.